29 February 2008

sometimes rolaids spells relief, but today, latte does.

latte spells relief. i've had a headache since the afternoon. i got up at nine and then went for a short 12 mile bike ride. today was much harder than yesterday's 25 mile bike ride. but wayne says that you have to get on the bike the second day. which is very true. i'm (katie, not georgie oranges) training for the STP and it's a two day race....georgie would never actually ride a bike, but she might like to have a side car and be the passenger. maybe with her head just sticking up out of a box on the side of my bike. that's an odd thought. but i guess i'm kind of an odd person. after all, i've got a blog called "the georgie orangie oranges show."
anyway, back to the latte. i started getting a headache behind my right eye this afternoon- i was thinking because i didn't have enough water. so i drank a barrel of water and took some advil. and then i thought i should make some coffee. so i brewed a pot of coffee and it was delicious....and then my headache was gone. and now i'm at a coffee shop having a latte....and it spells relief.

i was thinking about my habitual visits to coffee shops. i'm turning into a loner. i have gotten in the pattern of being alone, not necessarily by choice. i'm a solo kind of person- but that's not what people would say about me. they would say i liven up a group. but sometimes, most times, i just am by myself. sometimes hanging out with others takes too much energy. so i come to a coffee shop. i sit alone listening to music, drinking a latte, hoping that maybe someone will notice me and strike up a conversation. then i remember that this is seattle, and while people are polite, they don't strike up conversations with strangers. people don't even talk in the elevator. and it's a weird, very uncomfortable silence. why don't people talk to each other? why don't people talk to me?

i'm at a new coffee shop. it's pretty empty. some guy with big headphones sitting across from me. two baristas. and an unpleasant smell. not of coffee....it smells like the dishwasher at The Pub at Third Place. not good. maybe it's the decor....because it's new and new things sometimes smell weird. and i find myself singing out loud. i bet that guy thinks i'm weird. i think i'm weird. but georgie thinks i'm normal- well, she doesn't think about it. i'm just what she knows.

4 comments:

Wenikio said...

I didn't know you have a blog!! So true about Seattlites. We Hoosiers have to stick together. Especially the loner/introverted Hoosiers :)

Unknown said...

Maybe people don't want to bother you since you have your headphones on? :)

KBkatie said...

maybe they don't.....but i wish they would.

KT said...

I seem to remember many "chance encounters" you have had in coffee shops. I think you sell it short. I wish I had your luck with that.